Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day one in Bogota...

I didn't sleep well last night. Mainly because I was acting like Abi and trying to keep myself awake. ;) I didn't want the day to end but sadly, it did.

ABI SLEPT ALL NIGHT...CAN YOU HEAR ME SINGING THE HALLELUJAH CHORUS?! She woke at 6:15, I gave her yogurt in her sippee cup and she fell back to sleep until 7:30ish. Bruce was gone at 6:15. He woke early and went ahead to the store to get wipes, a card for Vicky and more dinero ($$) for our trip to Bogota.

Packing went well. The morning was nice. I didn't have near as much free space in our luggage but it all worked out. Vicky came at 9am, prompt, as usual. I didn't allow myself to think through leaving her today but when I saw her in her cute leggings and white shirt, my heart sank. I know, I must sound so dramatic but when I love someone, I'm passionate about them. I played it cool and greeted her as usual. She suggested that I ride with her to the airport and the others went in a taxi. With our luggage also in her car, there was not enough room for the whole family. Josh and Bella begged to ride with Ms. Vicky. They wanted to be near her. They can't ever get enough of her and for days have asked, "When will we see Ms. Vicky again?" I've no idea how to answer that question. I only pray it's soon.

So we were off to the airport. Vicky and I began to talk and before we knew it, we were sharing our hearts. She talked of the need to not get too close to the Gladney families that she assists to remain professional. She is much like me and loves passionately. She gives all of herself to any given task. Well, the "let's not get too close" idea didn't work for us. We've become like sisters. We both know God brought us together for a reason and we're so thankful to Him for bringing us together. We were supposed to have Sylvia as our interpreter while in Medellin but the night before we arrived she called Vicky and said that she had a very bad cold. Vicky already had another family to assist and was a bit hesitant but wanted to help Sylvia. She took us and thank God she did!! I was amazed in our 45 minute journey to the airport how rich our conversation was. I found myself telling her an intimate story of God's healing power in my life through a dream of my biological father in 1994. I talked to her about forgiveness and the freedom that can be found when we forgive. It releases the "offender" and the "offended"...which was me. When we pulled up to the airport, we were both in tears. Many tears. Our time had ended. It was time to close this chapter of the story. Not our friendship because that door won't ever be closed. But we won't see her tomorrow or the next day. Bruce won't tease her. The kids won't gain love from her and hugs. I won't see her smile or talk about our favorite stores in the US together. We got out of the car...both trying to seem like we had it together when we didn't. The kids grabbed Vicky with a final HUGE hug! Bruce had his sweet smile, from ear to ear, and blessed Vicky with his words of love. Then I had to say goodbye. I'm crying again even as I type this. I've literally cried all day...forget the makeup today! I couldn't speak when we embraced and I didn't want to completely lose it so I said few words and forced myself to let go. She got in her car. We walked into the airport and I cried and cried. People stared. I didn't care a bit for I was feeling from a deep place in my heart. A place that was filled with thanksgiving to God for this precious new friend and a sorrowful place in leaving her. Sure, we will stay in touch but it won't be the same...not ever. "Oh God, please keep our hearts tied together and our hearts open to more of You."

I can hardly see the screen...more and more tears...
Thank God, I'm not typing in our room right now, while crying. I'm in a small, office type room at the Hotel Paris in Bogota.

Now back to the story...At 11:30am, we boarded our plane which was very nice...thanks Avianca! Abi had eaten so much this morning so we didn't need a snack or even a drink. I wondered how she might act during her first flight and was thankful it was less than hour long, in case, she freaked out. No need to have worried. She was perfect! She loved that we each had our own tv screen in front of us with a remote that looked and felt like a telephone. She held it to her ear and talked. Then she would look at us and giggle. She's so funny. If Josh and Bella are laughing about something, she will chime in with a fake laugh. That makes all of us laugh even harder. She's sooo darn cute!!! I sat with the kids on row 17, while Bruce was in front of us. We had a good time. Josh started Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie and Bella started the Hannah Montana movie. Of course, they only got the first half of the movie because the flight was so short. We took pictures with Abi outside the plane. She did it! We will pray for the same results when flying back to Texas...7+ hours total.

It was chilly when we landed in Bogota. We all LOVED it! It was probably 70 degrees with a bit of a wind. Perfecto! The weather in Colombia has been so good for us! We are NOT missing the 100+ degrees in Texas! Jaime, our driver and interpreter from Gladney was at the exit of the airport, holding our Menefee sign. He's a very friendly and kind man. We drove to Hotel Paris where we stayed the first night we arrived to Colombia. We didn't think much of the facility during that visit as we were in a very small room with very hard beds.

When we walked into Hotel Paris today, we were greeted by two large dogs. I'm not good with the names of dogs but they were big, relaxed and fluffy...so beautiful! All three kids went crazy. They love the dogs here...Romeo and Mable (?). Upon our entry, I noticed Kelly coming towards me. It's so funny how the Gladney families instantly bond. It must be the spirit of adoption...welcoming all into our hearts and lives. I thought she would be the only other person here with her adopted daughter but there are several others! We met another couple, Joe & Leah with their new son, Cole (16 months) and they are precious. We also met Cresta and her daughter, Kariana! Her husband and boys have already headed back to Minnesota as they've already been here for 3 weeks. Same is true for Kelly. Her husband and boys left for Tennesee and she will join them on Saturday. We talked for quite a while today and even took a short walk to CARULLA! Yes, a Carulla is around the corner. No more death walks across the maddening streets of Medellin OR up a mountain to return home. It was lovely!

Our kids have had a ball here at Hotel Paris. Oh, I forgot to mention...our room is the Master Suite!! It has 2 queen beds, 2 twin beds, a crib, small refrigerator, large walk-in closet, large bathroom with a huge tub and counter space. I love counter space!!! In the backyard there is a swing set and other playground equipment for kids. There is also another room that is full of toys. Hotel Paris caters to adopted families. It's wonderful. Wow! Tonight we had "beef", potatoes, salad and little pound cakes for dessert. It was great. The service here is amazing. Our room is amazing and the people that are also present are amazing. "God, You are AMAZING!"

We've had rich conversation with our new friends and look forward to making more memories tomorrow.

Josh and Bella are happy and fulfilled today. They've played well together, all day and have had sweet, sweet hearts. Not always the case. ;) It may have helped that Daddy let us get Dunkin Donuts at the airport before we boarded the plane. Who knows? I told them my favorite part of today was seeing their love for each other.

I should also add that Abi is sleeping in a CRIB right now. Tonight is her first night to not either be in a pack-n-play or our bed! YES! She's secure and loved. She's also cutting a 2 year molar! She's 13 months old! She hit her mouth or chin on the side of the crib while dancing and when her mouth opened wide, I saw a bit of white...stuck my finger in and sure enough, it's a tooth! No wonder all the poopy diapers...whew! She also got to swing for the first time today...surely, it was the first!? Her reaction was sooo funny. She squealed and giggled with an abundance of joy!!!

The Menefee's are blessed!!!

7 comments:

Dena said...

How I love Miss Abi can feel the love and that she belongs with her forever family! I cried of hearing your departure with Vicky today. She is definately a special lifetime friend. I love the way you love people that are important to you. Ruth you are a beautiful friend!

laurie said...

such a sweet story to be sharing with us!! each day I look forward to what you will write about yalls day and the love of your new daughter!! incredible the legacy you're giving her with words you write of this journey!! blessed by your staying faith and belief that God will (and does) fulfill His promises!! thank you for sharing!!

pepper said...

I wish I could describe my feelings about what you've written today as well as you describe yours in this blog. I was sad for you having to leave Vicky and all the tears. But my own tears came at the end when you talked about how well Abi is doing. I just pictured her swinging and giggling "with an abundance of joy", and I was so overwhelmed by our Father's love. He offers to all of us what you have given Abi - unconditional love, a new family, a new life. I am so THANKFUL. Praise You, Jesus!

j said...

Well, a story meant for the movies! I have noted the firsts for Abi delightfully and also knowing each step builds love and trust. I pray for a peaceful and joyful trip back to Texas and to the truly new surroundings for Abi. PTL, He has been so beautiful in His guidance and love for you all!

Marlana said...

I am so happy to hear all the amazing steps Abi has made! She will love some day to read this blog. I know it has touched me EVERY time I read it. I cannot wait to see you so I can see the joy you express to all of us!Love You!!

Calys jimenez said...

Please update;) I am ready to hear more you should totally make this into a book "the life of Abigail Valeria MENEFEE
LOVE calys

Anonymous said...

I love thinking about Abi swinging:) Luv that yall were having these special moments together!!