Monday, August 2, 2010

The Power of Prayer...

Sweet girl slept pretty well again last night. Not as good as the night before but the yelling and screaming has ceased...God is good! We had our girls sleepover again last night and I woke to two smiling faces...oh, how I love our girls!!! Daddy did the usual and took Abi on a walk after her morning yogurt and banana. She loves her alone time in the morning with Bruce...so very sweet.

The plan today was that Abi and I were going to go with Vicky to get her chicken pox vaccination and her passport and visa photos taken. Then we mentioned going shopping. That was all that needed to be said...both Josh and Bella were ready to leave with Mom! So Bruce stayed back while we went to run around with Vicky.

Our first stop was at a clinic that gives vaccinations. The nurse was dressed in her professional, white shoes, white tights, white skirt, white shirt and white "nurses" hat. She was so cute. She took our information and invited Abi and I to the next room. Josh and Bella waited in the waiting area which was about 5 feet away with the door wide open between us. I asked Vicky to come in with us to take pictures. She said, "What?! For the shot?" I said, "Yes! I've done this with all of our kids and the pictures make for great scrapbooking." She said, "Whatever you say, Ruth." and gave me a strange look. We are like sisters now. We pick on each other, laugh and tease each other. So, Abi was sitting in my lap and the nurse took the small piece of cotton and wiped the area clean. Then she stuck our sweet baby girl. Abi's mouth opened. There was very little sound. The needle came out. Abi cried for a minute but then the nurse handed her a green ball. The tears stopped. I paid $120,000 pesos ($60) and we left. The nurse said that today she would be fine. She said that IF she has any side effects, we will see them in 2-3 weeks...low grade fever and maybe a small rash. I went ahead and gave her a baby aspirin before our appointment just to ease the pain.

We then went to the top of a nearby mountain. It's an area that has been created to look like a town in Medellin. It was very interesting and lovely. You truly felt like you were away from the city and visiting a Colombian village. Vicky took us there because we needed to get some souvenirs and small gifts. She knew to do it on a day when Bruce wasn't with us. (Did I just type that?) It was perfect. We found all that we needed. Vicky was so kind to allow me to shop a bit by myself. She sat with the kids while they ate delicious potato chips (homemade) and had cokes under an umbrella on a patio. She said some nuns came and sat next to them and Abi just talked and talked to them. Bella also loved seeing the nuns as she had just watched Sister Act on her dvd player yesterday. All is well with nuns around, right?

We left and went on to Carulla! Oh, Carulla, how I've missed you! Bruce met us there and we had a nice "chicken & fries" lunch. Every time it's as delicious as the time before. From there, Bruce took the kids back to our apartment...walking distance. Vicky, Abi and I went to the mall to get Abi's passport/visa pictures made. The American Embassy is very picky about the visa pictures!!! She HAD to wear a black shirt (used Bella's), her hair had to be straight and behind her ears, no earrings and no smile. So we are in the box (like you see at the mall to get pics taken with your boyfriend) and I've got my leg hiked up and so that she can sit on it and be tall enough for the photo. She's sitting there stranded on my knee, wondering why she has a black shirt layered over her beautiful black and white, polka-dotted dress with her hair crammed behind her ears. The lady on the other side pulls out her camera. Pulling out a camera in front of the Menefee girls means one thing...SMILE! She gave the cutest smile!! No, that would not work, not at all. After the lady took several pictures and Abi got hotter and less comfortable, I suggested that Vicky be the "horsey" and I go stand behind the lady with the camera. It sort of worked. Abi then wanted me and made a frowny face. We were done. The American Embassy should be pleased with the looks of this frowny, faced, Colombian girl!

Abi was done at this point and as soon as she got in the stroller, she fell asleep. We weren't about to move her again and wake her again so we decided to walk around the mall. I had some pictures developed (to leave with friends that we've made here), we got a cookie and coffee and cruised around the mall. I love my time with Vicky. There is no one like her. She's passionate, caring, a great friend, opinionated, just lovely!

Vicky made mention today that Nora, our attorney, has a feeling we will be called soon for our court appearance. I'm not sure if I've told you this but our SCHEDULED flights to go home are on August 11th...beginning very early that morning, from Bogota. IF we have to reschedule our flights, it will cost us $2-3,000! We are praying that we make these flights!!! Please agree with us! The sad part to this story is that this was supposed to be our full week of fun! We had plans to go to the Botanical Gardens and an out door market on Wed. and the Festival of Flowers on Sunday...not to mention pedicures with Bella ($6 each) and some other fun outings before heading home. IF WE MAKE OUR SCHEDULED FLIGHT ARRANGEMENTS, WE MUST LEAVE MEDELLIN BY THURSDAY...THIS THURSDAY! The reason is because we need 3 FULL days in Bogota to complete the visa process and take Abi to the doctor for a "well check" before going to the USA. We've stored up some beautiful memories here. Memories that will not soon be forgotten.

After returning to the apartment with Abi, we had dinner and just hung out here. Josh and Bella ate on our patio with the door wide open for the breeze to come in. The sun was behind the mountain and it was just beautiful to see them out there together. I also did another load of laundry tonight. Guess what?!! I learned today what I've done wrong with the "drying" process of our clothes. While we were driving through the city today, I noticed other women hanging their clothes on these 4 little bars. The clothes were ON HANGERS! I just had ours draped over the 4 bars. No wonder it's taken 2+ days to dry the first load. And no wonder there wasn't enough room to hang a load. Hmmm...who knew?

After dinner, Bruce said, "Let's go to the mall and get ice cream!" This made all of us very happy! We went to Crapes & Waffles where they make the best homemade ice cream. I'm not a big fan of ice cream but the vanilla with brownie chunks in it, was awesome! Abi loved eating ice cream too! She's always ready to EAT!!! Thus the reason for her chubby thighs, I'm sure!

So let me tell you what's new with Abi...
  • She's sleeping much better and when she wakes in the night she is comforted quickly by a sweet pat for 30 seconds. She usually only wakes one time now! I also tell her at this time, "Mommy is still here with you."
  • She wakes up (for the day) happy, instead of in tears.
  • She gives besos!!! Kisses!!! She gave Josh and Bella besos tonight during dinner. We all got the biggest kick out of this and cheered, which made her want to do it again and again.
  • She "winks" with both eyes of course. I'm not sure why or where she's learned this because I don't believe any of us have been winking at her but after her besos, she started winking. Then we started winking (for real) at her. She squishes up her nose and tightens both eyes closed for just a second...precious!!!
  • She can say "please" in sign language!
  • She knows us!!! Each one of us! She knows she is ours!!!
  • She cut her 7th tooth today!!! No wonder she's had bad poopies. Maybe this is why the baby aspirin has helped so much.
  • She pinched Bella ONLY ONCE today. And again learned that this wasn't a good choice after I pinched her and then led them to love each other after her tears.
  • She's pretty near perfect!
All those tears of sadness are being replaced with JOY!! SEVENTEEN days later and she's a completely different child!!! She feels our love and security. There is no need to scream/cry. There is no need to put up a guard. She's learning of our unconditional love. She's so fun. Just a dream! She smiles all the time and totally digs her new family! God is able to do exceedingly, abundantly MORE than we can ask or think!!! He is truly to be honored and glorified. We have a different girl in our arms...thank You, Jesus!!!!

I can't believe that we may only have 3 more days in this beautiful city!! When I stand on our balcony and see just a part of Medellin, I wonder where Abi's birth mother might be at that moment. I wonder if she misses her beautiful daughter. I wonder if she remembers birthing her Valeria. I wonder if her heart longs for her baby girl. I wonder so many things. Things that I'll never know the answer to but God does. I pray that we meet her someday. I pray that her life becomes a testimony of God's healing love and power. I held Abi on the balcony tonight and said, "We will soon leave your homeland and birth mommy. She was a sweet Mommy to give you life and so that Jesus could give you to us." God, please meet Monica Maria at this moment...wherever she might be...somewhere out there...

The power of prayer. It goes beyond any other type of help we can offer each other. The power of prayer. The reason we are already at this beautiful part of the adoption journey. The power of prayer. Changes everything.

Loving all of our prayer warriors
~ Ruth

PS. Bad news...our camera is stuck on taking "close up" shots only. It will not allow us to zoom in or out. It's stuck. Therefore, all the pictures I take are now blurry. Ugh!!! I'm still on the lookout for a disposable camera. Jesus Come!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Ruth and family,

I am so glad to hear that Abi is able to internalize the peace and security that you 'all offer her. So sweet that she is able to sleep well with you near her. I can just picture the three of you in a big bed. Good bonding time.

I love to hear that she is giving kisses. So cute! Can't wait to meet her ourselves...but we all love her already.

Praying for you,
Laurie (Aunt Laurie)

Anonymous said...

Loved every minute of it! At a time that most would be wrapped up in all that you have going on within you, I'm encouraged by your heart for all those wondering around you. The blessings you speak over the people of Medellin and the times you been able to speak into the lives of those you've come to know, will stand as a testiment for the work that God can do through a willing heart! Abi is learning great things by walking in your footsteps! We love and can't wait to see you all! REBECCA BRYAN

Denae Hutson said...

I am soooo happy she is sleeping better! You have described her so well that I feel like I already know her, yet I still can't wait to really know her! I'm so ready for y'all to come home!

pepper said...

Loved hearing that things are better. Thank you, Jesus! I'll say it again, thanks for sharing this adventure with us.

Gerald and Wendy said...

Glad to hear she's sleeping better. It makes my heart smile to know the comfort and unconditional love that precious girl is feeling each day. What a blessing!