Part of me is NOT happy to be typing this blog because I wrote for an hour yesterday to find that my blog was somehow NOT saved. Not a happy Mama! It was so good too...so creative and funny. I'll do my best to remember the happenings of the last week.
Well...MUCH has happened! We've been shopping for school supplies for a 7th grader and a (repeated) 1st grader. We've purchased some new school clothes and hit some great sales! We've started school and that has gone really well for all three kids.
Bella is back at Waters Elementary and enjoying her teacher, Mrs. Tickle, again this year. We felt that Bella would benefit developmentally if she repeated 1st grade. She was a bit concerned about not seeing her friends from last year...one in particular. She insisted on the 2nd day of school that we go to the other side of the building and see some of her friends. She spoke of a boy in her class last year that didn't seem to have as many friends as maybe some of the other students. She said, "Mom! I've got to check on him and make sure he has friends this year! He needs encouragement during PE! What if no-one is encouraging him?!" (He's a bit heavy) Well, we found him and he was glad to see Bella too. We made sure his school year was going well and we decided we would pray for him to make great friends this year! I love Bella's heart of compassion for her friends. What a sweet girl she is!
Josh was anxious and excited to begin 7th grade. He was glad he had a year under his belt in middle school and walked the halls with confidence. He had so many school supplies that they didn't all fit in his backpack. Some of his school supplies were in a brown, grocery bag. He wasn't too thrilled about carrying it in so I offered to help. I was surprised when he agreed that I could walk in with him carrying the "dumb" grocery bag. I wanted to grab him in thanksgiving but I played it cool...very cool. He smiled at students from last year. He gave an ugly look at a guy that teased him about a girl (And on the first day of school! I wanted to take him out!) We found his locker. He unloaded his things and I was off. Man, that was great...he's awesome! I'm so glad he still "likes" me. If you have a son in middle school, you know exactly what I'm talking about here!
On Tuesday, Abi and I went to Josh's school to deposit some money in his cafeteria fund. We walked in and she began yelling, "Dos!" She's never been in the school but somehow knew Josh was near. I kept telling her that we weren't going to see Josh because he was in class. When we were finished with our task and walking to the van, she kept yelling "Dos!" Then suddenly, from a distance, I heard..."MOM!" IT WAS JOSH! He was walking to a portable building for band (he plays percussion). Abi started kicking her legs in my arms and Josh was waving! Both kids smiling from ear to ear. It blessed me to no end! A true moment of joy!
Abi missed school on Monday, I'll explain why, later. She did attend on Wednesday though (yesterday) and did very well. She wore a cute, grey, tshirt-type dress with ruffles on the top of it with a pink bow in her hair. We walked into her class and she pushed against me to get down. That was it. She was ready to play with the kids, especially her new friend, Camilla! I was told she ate, slept and played well. She loves friends and being social. I was very proud of her for going to school! As a side note, her foster mother had her in some kind of nursery or mother's day out program during the week so she's used to having a break with friends. Kind of like me...;)
Abi's doing wonderfully well. She amazes us! She's so very happy and settled. She KNOWS we are her family. She KNOWS this is her home. She KNOWS her brother is "Dos" and likes to yell his name around the house. She's become SWEETER with Bella (hasn't pinched her in days!) Thank You, Jesus! She's eating like a champ and loves life! She had her first Capri Sun tonight and thought she had died and gone to heaven! She'd take a big gulp, as much as she could hold in her mouth, choke a bit and then give a huge smile! She also went poo-poo on the potty tonight!!! I know that's unreal and I wouldn't have even tried it except that her foster mother put her on the potty every morning at 6:30am for her to go poops...and she did! I saw the urge, ran her to the bathroom...done. I was so proud of her! She got a sucker and had no idea what the big deal was! She's SMART too! After pulling her little clothes from the dryer, I shake them and lay them flat on the arm of the chair in the living area before hanging, folding and putting them away. When I returned to the room, they were scattered all over the floor. I said, "Oh, no Abi! What happened? Can you help Mommy put them back?" She began picking them up, one by one, and laying them flat on the edge of the chair. I couldn't believe it!! Smarty-pants!
Last but certainly not least...I must let you know that Abi brought home a souvenir for ALL of us from Colombia, SA!! And NOT a souvenir that you want to receive, believe me! I debated on whether or not, I was going to put this in the blog but hey, it IS a part of the story. The past few weeks you've read about how she's scratched her head or pulled on her hair...remember? (Yes, it's what you're thinking...OMGosh!) Well, on Sunday, while at a friend's house, she offered some dandruff shampoo for me to try on Abi. We used it that afternoon in her home and when we were done we checked again to make sure there was no lice or strange creatures. Believe me, we had done this several times over the last few weeks and found nothing. Oh, but this time there were critters! (I'm sure your head is beginning to itch right now.) It was horrible!!! I was totally grossed and freaked out. Poor, sweet baby girl has had bugs in her hair for who knows how long and they've been driving her crazy! I immediately raced to Walgreens and bought RID...that stuff really works!!! I spent 50 minutes on her buggy head that night and all of us (as a precaution) also used the shampoo. I washed and/or sprayed (with RID)...every rug, comforter, mattress, stuffed animal, shower curtain, bow, head band, clothes and furniture until I was sure nothing lingered. I also tossed hairbrushes, combs, pillows and mattress foam pads. By Tuesday morning, of this week, I was exhausted. It was something I'll never forget. After 4 treatments this week...yes, I know you're only really supposed to use 2 but I got a little carried away...she's well! We are all well..thank God! As another precaution we will all use the shampoo again on Sunday...never hurts to be SURE!
Abi had her 1st doctors appointment today with our pediatrician, Dr. Majors. She weighs almost 20 lbs. She's in the 10% for height and weight. Her head circumference is average. She has no lice/buggies in her hair! I had a list (in hand) from Gladney of the tests that are highly suggested after having adopted a child from another country. Dr. Majors also had a list. She was so thankful we are willing to have these tests done when Abi is, seemingly, so healthy...absolutely! Abi has been pulling on her ears lately but has had no fever, drainage, runny nose, etc. However, I had a "feeling" that something wasn't right...sure enough, she has a double ear infection. She loves her antibiotic! We will begin the tests tomorrow with a TB test at 8:45am and make future appointments for a hearing test, eye examination, dental appointment, etc. I'm praying she sleeps well tonight and wakes healed because Jesus has touched her and loves her.
Oh the joys of motherhood...from shopping together, laughing together, praying together and even ridding of bugs together...I'm blessed.
Thanks to those of you that still want to follow our blog! You bless me!
Much love!
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I wonder why the time on my blog reads "12:20pm"...it's 10:27pm...weird!
We're believing with you for all tests and exams to continue to prove she is an amazingly "perfect" little blessing! I'm sorry you had to deal with the "bugs" but I'm glad you caught it before she went to "school" ;).
And reading about Bella's compassion for that boy brought tears to my eyes! My Caden NEEDS a friend with a heart like Bella! I can personally tell you what it means to that boy who needs "extra encouragement" to have Bella speak such kind words to him, she is making a HUGE impact on his life!
Keep up the good work Ruth, your kids are amazing!!! <3
With love, Kara Trimble
Wow what a story it sounds like you were a great mother and did exactly what you were suppose to do. We are praying with you for favor in all the test.
Post a Comment