Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our Sentencia...

Abi didn't sleep as well with Bruce in the bed last night...nor did Bruce or myself. I think she may have wanted to keep with the girls sleepover plan as we had done the two previous nights before. In her sleep, she kicked. She hit. She pulled her hair out. She wasn't being ugly at all, just restless. She sat up throughout the night and at 4am, she wanted to play and was wide awake. Bruce was done, at this point, so Abi and I went to the living room, just a few feet from all the bedrooms. We stayed out on the couch for quite a while, talking and just being together...then back to bed. It seemed like a very short night because she didn't sleep through it but at least she wasn't upset and screaming.

At 9:50am, Vicky called and said our SENTENCIA was SOON and she would be here at 10:20 to pick us up. I've never gotten ready so quickly in my life. All of us...dressed up, happy and ready to meet the judge! Ahhhh!!! We made it...ran down to where Vicky was waiting and off we went. We got a few blocks away and realized we didn't have Abi's visa pictures...crap! We had to turn around but due to all the one way streets and the traffic, it took some time. She decided to stop on the corner near our apartment. Bruce and I ran back to the apartment (uphill and in high heels...for me!), through the parking garage, took the elevator to the 4th floor, did the code to get to the hidden key, used the key to get in the apartment, grabbed the pictures and did all that to get back to the car. Oh my word! My thighs! Help!!

We made it to the courts on time and Nora was there to greet us, as was her assistant, Edwin. They are so organized and kind. I expected to walk into a court room but instead we walked up to a counter in the hall of the 4th floor. Nora explained all of our documents to us. She was very thorough and after we listened, we signed the papers.

ABIGAIL VALERIA was legally ours! In a matter of minutes...SHE IS OURS! Well, minutes at the court house...not minutes to get to this part of the process.

After we signed the papers, Nora kissed all of us and congratulated us...as if I had just had a baby!!! Vicky did the same. They were so happy!!! So were we!!! She said, "That's it! You're done!" I said, "But where is the judge?" and she pointed to him off in the corner of the room behind a glass wall. I just had to thank him. He gave permission for us to enter his office. He said he was very sorry but was too busy to celebrate with us. Some judges, including ours, usually have a celebration party after the completion of adoptoin. We were excited about this but our judge was too busy. Normally, he likes for the families to bring a cake. The entire area of his office, basically shuts down and celebrates the official adoption of the family. We loved this idea but it didn't work out for us. Instead we shook his hand and thanked him for his approval and our new daughter! He was very thankful to us for wanting to adopt from Medellin. We were not allowed to take our camera into the court house but Bruce took his Iphone in...pretty sneaky for Bruce! Josh took pictures while we signed papers, etc. He did a great job!

I'll try to have new photos up in the next day or two. My camera broke a couple days ago which is such a HUGE bummer. Bruce thinks it may have broken during our move from the hotel to the apartment. At any rate, we've been using our video camera for still shots. Not my favorite idea but thankful we have something to catch these great moments! Another opportunity to be thankful for what we have, instead of gripe about what we don't have. This is a hard lesson for me at times.

Our time at the courthouse was quick and easy. Everyone in the halls and on the other side of the counter, loved Abi. She wore a floral, sun dress with a flower standing off the dress. She looked absolutely beautiful. Bella wore her black and white polka dotted dress with her silver, butterfly, flip-flops...another beautiful Menefee girl! Josh wore his "nice outfit" yet again...khakis and his green polo shirt. Since I got ready in a mad rush and didn't have time for a shower, I wore a casual outfit with heels to dress it up. :) The right high heels and glitter, lipstick can make anyone feel beautiful. ;) Bruce was in a suit and was very handsome.

When we left the courthouse we had planned to go to lunch and be done with our day. But since our sentencia was complete, Vicky asked if there was anything else that was important to us to accomplish while in Medellin before we headed home. St. Vincent de Paul Hospital. Please take us to the hospital where Abi was born. We drove for quite a while and when we pulled up it began to sprinkle. We were not allowed inside but found an entrance with a sign. I asked Bruce to hold Abi while I took pictures but he insisted that this was a special moment and that I should be in the picture. I quickly agreed and instead of pictures, suggested he take video of us.

I was so moved when I walked up to the hospital. Vicky and the kids were sitting across the street and watching us through the car windows that were lightly, sprinkled with rain. I could see them and loved knowing they were with us at that very moment. I began talking to the video camera by saying this was a very special place because this is where Abi's birth mother came to give her life. I talked about how amazing it was that she made it to St. Vincent de Paul Hospital because she was without a home. I talked about her love for Abi and the knowledge she must have had knowing someone would love and care for her daughter. I was very moved and emotional. It was a short visit. It was a short segment of video. However, it will answer many questions for our sweet girl someday. When the time is right and God opens the doors, she will see the video of her Momma (me) speaking of the woman that birthed her (Monica Maria). It was much like going to the corner of 5th and 8th Street for me...my place of rescue, not abandonment! I held Abi while we did the video. I'm so thankful for our 3rd treasure from heaven. She is such a delight to Jesus and to us!

We went from the hospital to the Intercontinental Hotel. We had a couple things to accomplish there. 1) Had the hotel sold our tickets to the Festival of Flowers? Not yet but we're praying they do and we receive a refund back! 2) Meeting another Gladney family!! Frank, Sandy and their son, Joshua arrived yesterday from Miami to begin their adoption process. Joshua is adopted from Bogota and is 4.5 years old. He's an outgoing and sweet boy! They will meet their 10 month old, adopted son tomorrow!!! I loved meeting Sandy today! When we arrived to the hotel, I called and left a message for her. We had never met until today. We share the same caseworker at Gladney and she suggested that we meet each other via email in hopes that we could meet in Medellin. So we've been in contact for the last few months. While we are eating lunch at the Intercontinental...which by the way, was soooo lovely!!!! Oh, I love being pampered!!!...Sandy and her family were walking up. We immediately saw each other and embraced. It's as if we know each other. I know a bit about her but she knows ALOT about us as she's been following our story on the blog. We talked for a good 2 hours and it was more than I can express in words. We talked about the Lord, our families, the adoption process...just everything. While we were talking, the kids played mini-golf (nearby) and on the playground. It was great for Bella and Josh to have someone to play with and a play area that was so fun!!! We ended up putting our feet in the pool and wishing we had our swimsuits! She and her family are precious! I must be honest, I've got questions...Why are we leaving and ending the process when they just arrived and are beginning their process? Why couldn't we be in Medellin together? It would have been wonderful to be with them at the hotel and share our experiences. Oh well. God knows best.

We left the Intercontinental and decided to go by Torre 42 to say goodbye to our friends there. Betty greeted us at the door with kisses. Lillia came though the kitchen and greeted us with a huge smile and kisses. We thought at that point that Betty was working the day shift and we wouldn't see Doris. THEN, Doris came down the stairs. It was awesome!!! We caught up and laughed together while Abi slept. After about 30 minutes, we realized Bruce's Iphone was missing. To make a long story, short...Bruce and Josh took a taxi back to the Intercontinental to look for the phone while Abi slept and Bella and I visited with Doris and Lillia. Bella started to cry. She was heartbroken that Daddy's phone may not be found. All I could think of was that our court pictures were on the Iphone! Again, leaning on Jesus. They returned with the phone! It was found in the lobby by a housekeeper. Then Josh remembered he had left it there. His heart of repentance was enough to receive full mercy and forgiveness.

We then headed back to our apartment and arrived here about 5:30. What a long, fun, fulfilled and blessed day!!!

With all of that said, we WILL MAKE OUR SCHEDULED FLIGHTS HOME ON AUG. 11th!!! We have one more day in Medellin and then we leave this beautiful place. I'm so ready to be home but I'm not ready to leave the place of Abi's birth. We are busy with fun activities tomorrow, will be home late afternoon, pack our bags, have dinner and spend our last night in this hotel. Then, on Thursday at 11:30am, we are off to Bogota to begin and end Abi's process to leave the country.

A day full of memories...priceless memories.

God is good ~ all the time and all the time ~ God is good!
With great love, Ruth

7 comments:

Gerald and Wendy said...

What a sweet moment outside the hospital with sweet Abi. SHE IS YOURS!! So excited for you!! Love you!!

J Love said...

HOlLy Cow GUys! RUth you've got to write shorter I cant hold my breath that long. that was intense! I cant smile enough love you guys. James

Pamela said...

Wow, that just brings tears to my eyes, so happy for you

Michelle said...

Wow! I just read your blog...found from a link that Gladney posted on Facebook. :)

My husband and I adopted our two children from Medellin in 2002 and 2004...they are now 8 (Jacob) and 5 (Sara). We used Vicky and Nora for both adoptions and like you, completely fell in love with them! Please tell them Hola from the Newman family!! :)

I absolutely love that you were adopted and completed the circle and adopted yourself. I would absolutely love for my kids to do that. :)

Medellin is a beautiful city...we are planning a return visit in 2013 and can't wait!!

God bless!! Abi is beautiful!

Lindsey Feliciano said...

So happy for you guys!!! I can't wait to meet her. I feel like I already know her so much. See you guys soon (hopefully).
Love you guys,
Lindsey

pepper said...

What an exciting day, to say the least. I'm so happy for you!

Marlana said...

I will not be able to sleep tonight with all this excitement! I am so happy for you, your dreams are now reality!Your family deserves this. Love you!