Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Three Weeks in Medellin...

Today marks 3 weeks in Medellin, Colombia! Wow! What a journey we've been on together as a family. God has been especially good to us.

Abi slept well last night. She woke once and was easily comforted. She woke at 5:16am which was way toooo early! Sweet Bruce. He got up with her and soon thereafter she fell back to sleep. Sadly, he couldn't do the same. We were all up at 7am to begin our final day in Medellin. Bruce and Abi met Vicky downstairs at 8:30am. They drove to meet Nora to receive Abi's passport. I was told that Abi was a sweet angel during this outing with Daddy.

At 10am, they returned to our apartment, including Vicky and Nora. We had a short meeting here as Nora went over all the documents with regard to Abi's adoption. She had a "personal" file made just for Abi that included information that can be used later, if she/we chooses to search for her family. She included her Colombian birth certificate and other important items. It was lovely. She then got to a page about Abi's birth mother's rights having been terminated. I began to cry. Even though I'm thankful for our promised child, my heart breaks at the thought of her mother not knowing her and loving her. Terminated rights. So final. I had to excuse myself and get myself together before returning to the table.

I was also having a very hard time with the idea of leaving Colombia. It is, after all, my homeland too. It's where God birthed me, placed me, rescued me and loved me. Beautiful Colombia. Beautiful people. Beautiful city of Medellin. Beautiful growth and greenery in all directions. Beautiful weather (even when it rains because it soon stops and the sun shines again). I, honestly, think I could stay here another month. I'm comfortable here and feel like I "belong." "Belonging" is a BIG DEAL for an adopted child. I belong to a family in the US and I'm very thankful but I've realized I also belong to a family in Colombia. There must be an Aunt, Uncle, Cousin or someone that is my blood relative. As I've never had the desire to really search for any family members, I've found that after having adopted Abi, my imagination has soared. Interestingly enough, Vicky and Edwin (Nora's assistant) have a business called, "Roots." It's a service to help find your biological family in Colomba. I told Vicky that I didn't have any papers, a note, not anything when I was left at The Church of Carmen on that day in March of 1967. She said that the records must show though WHO picked me up...WHERE they took me...etc. I'm in no way saying I'm about to begin the process of "searching." Not at all!! I just think it's interesting and more so because I have a daughter now who has a birth mommy somewhere out there in this amazing city. I'm sure there will be a day that we search for Monica Maria and when that day comes, I'll be ready to love and support Abi. So many wonderful years ahead of us with this precious gift, our Abigail Valeria!

After our meeting, Nora left and Vicky stayed with us while we did some things around the apartment. Soon we were off to the Botanical Gardens. Okay, let me just say that the Botanical Gardens that I've been to in the States have nothin on the Gardens in Medellin! OH MY!!! Again, I'll have to figure out how to get pictures back on the blog (now from our video camera). It was unbelievable! Many, many flowers are exported all over the world, from Colombia! Since it's the week of the Festival of Flowers, the sights were breathtaking.

We met Nora and Blanca (both sisters to Raul who works for Gladney in FL) at Encentro for lunch. It was gorgeous. Located in the center of the Gardens. Wide open windows. Dark wood tables and chairs. Tables set for a princess (that would be me). Very, very nice!!! We wanted to take Nora and Blanca to a special lunch for their hearts and love towards us. They've truly shown us the beauty of the people here, along with having been our attorney (Nora)...just beautiful women! Bruce treated all of us to a delicious dinner. Abi did well most of the time. She's not used to a high chair so it's always interesting for the first few minutes with her in the chair. She's learning though. She's a quick learner and very smart. Josh had salmon for lunch and was sooo happy! Bella had a burger...such an American girl! I had a scrumptious vegetable and chicken lasagna! I've no idea what Bruce had...some kind of pasta dish and the other women had steaks. It was a warm time together. Nora and Blanca commented on our kids over and over...their beauty, their manners, their love for Abi and obedience to us. It was nice for them to receive such praise. I, of course, gave gifts and they were also very touched by our expression of love.

When lunch was over, Nora and Blanca went back to work while we stayed to view the flower exhibition, bird exhibition and a bit of market shopping. I found a purse that I really loved...full leather, long strap, black with a colorful butterfly in the corner (sounds cheezy but so cute!) and a design that's made by an Indian tribe. It was $70,000 pesos...$35! We walked away and so that I could think about it. Then we came to another booth and it was there that Josh and Bella gobbled up part of my shopping money. :) A darling bracelet for Bella and a back scratcher/massager for Josh. On our way out, I found the most beautiful earrings...handmade, carved and handpainted...from some type of shell. They were gorgeous!!! It was an amazing day out with Vicky and the other women...especially Vicky!

She dropped us off at our apartment this evening and Bruce went into "travel mode!" You know the drill...we have too much stuff...how are we going to get all this in our suitcases?...what can we leave behind?...do we really need all of this?...etc. He ended up giving away several shirts, his suit, jeans, shorts...1/2 his wardrobe. Okie dokie. I finished packing while Bruce, Josh and Abi went to Carulla to get dinner. Bella stayed to help me, which basically meant, follow me around and talked my ear off. I love that girl! When they returned...I was done! AND...I have an entire 2/3 of a suitcase that is empty!!! Don't even ask me how that happened. His clothes didn't take up that much room and I have lots of gifts that I'm taking home. Thank You, Lord!

They returned with dinner at 7pm. We waited until 7:30...no Doris. She was supposed to arrive at that time for dinner. We thought maybe she had to work later than expected. Eight o'clock...still no Doris. In the meantime, Andrew Stringer came by. We invited him over for a short visit (since Doris was coming). He brought some scales and so that we could weigh our luggage and also took home all of our groceries and Bruce's clothes. He was very blessed. When 8:30 came and went, we knew Doris wasn't coming. Andrew stayed for quite a while, which we LOVED!!! He's such a great guy. I wish you could all meet him. He's so positive and uplifting. He suggested that this weekend while in Bogota we take a trip to Villavicencio. I'll not go into all of those details but it's a possibility that we may be able to take the kids to what used to be Infant Paradise, the orphanage that I'm from. It's no longer an orphanage but is now a Christian school. It was one of my deepest dreams so maybe it will work out!?!! We shall see.

In three weeks, I've learned or gained these things:
  • It's a pleasure and gift to be "called" to parent a child.
  • We have been beyond blessed to be in Medellin as a FAMILY.
  • Our kids are better off for having come to another country.
  • It's not the best idea to live in ONE room as a family of FIVE.
  • Date nights are important...we need one!! Oh wow!
  • Friendships are treasures...upcoming girls night out for me, Josh spending time with Aaron, Burke and Tyler, Bella spending time with her little girl friends and Bruce having some "manly" conversation (watch out Kelly Mason, Henry Reimer and Salem Posey!)
  • It's okay to eat food that you don't really care for.
  • It's okay to sleep on a bed for almost a month that is extremely hard.
  • It's okay if the water in the shower gets cold before you're done showering.
  • We CAN live off of chicken...we really can.
  • I CAN live without my favorite chocolates.
  • The Body of Christ has been alongside us during this journey and we're forever thankful.
  • I DO like cantelope...well, from Colombia anyway...tastes like candy!
  • Our bond as family is deeper/richer because of this trip. However, we all need breaks from each other!!!
  • ABIGAIL VALERIA MENEFEE...our greatest gain while in Medellin.
I need to go to bed. My throat is a tad bit scratchy and my stomach hurts a bit tonight. I know my body is tired but I don't want today to end. I want to sit on our balcony and look at the lights covering the mountains, all night long. However, I'm the Mom...enough said. I must have strength and joy for tomorrow.

BOGOTA...here we come! Leaving at 11:30am tomorrow. Vicky will pick us up at 9am. I can't even imagine leaving her since we've become so very close. Even now, I'm crying just thinking about it. The flight is an hour. We will go to our hotel where another family is also staying as they end their process of adoption. It will be nice to meet and connect with Kelly. We've talked via email. Friday afternoon, Abi has a doctors appointment. Friday night we MAY leave for Villavicencio (2 hour drive) and stay until Sunday night. Monday morning Bruce and Abi have to be at the American Embassy at the crack of dawn. Tuesday we receive Abi's visa. Wednesday evening we return to Lubbock, Texas in the United States of America!

What a victorious trip to Medellin, Colombia!

"Thank You, Jesus for this journey with Bruce and our three children. I love You and I'm blessed beyond measure!"

PS. Meant to also add, on behalf of the kids...
Joshua's package came in today (to Lubbock) from Brick Arms (weapons for Legos)...very important news! AND...Bella used the money she saved for this trip and didn't spend, on KIT KITTREDGE (American Girl doll) who should be waiting for her when we get home next Wednesday! Good times!

6 comments:

Denae said...

Wow...God is so good and your journey is amazing!! I am wondering about Doris and will be praying for her. You have definitely planted some good seeds with her and now I just pray that someone else comes along her path that will show her more Jesus.
I am so looking forward to the Menefee Family of FIVE coming home!!

Anonymous said...

So, so awesome! Thanks for my morning cry!!! We love the Menefee's...all five of you!!!

Love,
Becca Wilhite

Calys Jimenez said...

Wow!!! It is awsome to hear how this journey was put together by God!! Y'all are such a precious family of FIVE!!!! (Bruce,Ruth,Josh,NEW big sister Bella....AND ABIGAIL VALERIA MENEFEE!!!!!)
Hmmm,i am wondering why God didn't direct Doris to come over, but God did it for a purpose. Can't wait to see y'all when you get home.
MUCHO AMOR from me to you, calys jimenez

Anonymous said...

I have failed to make comments on the blog although I have read every day with anticipation. My travels during this process (to Vietnam & Jamaica) to love on some little ones like Abi made it difficult to communicate.
BUT...I want this entry to be here for Abi when she reads these some day.
Abi - I have heard of you for 25 years. You may say, "how can that be?" Well....it was then that I met your precious Mom. We quickly became life-long friends and she shared her deep desire to adopt a little girl one day from Colombia.
And then, years later, God used my family to introduce your precious Daddy to your Mommy. And the rest is history.
Abi, you have a beautiful inheritance from the Lord and a destiny that your parents have fought for and will continue to fight you. You are a gift and I know God will use you to bring healing to many.
With much love,
Auntie Cam

Dena said...

I am going to miss hearing about Medellin. The people you have met are precious. The connection that you made so quickly with the city and the places you stayed was amazing. I will always remember the lives you impacted by your stay and the Jesus in you that showed so much love in Abi's homeland.
This journey of yours has made me revisit my journey of being adopted and I have experienced much joy to know Abi has a mommy as you who knows how to recieve her and love her well.

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing all that you Gained in Colombia! Valeria Abigail being the best treasure of all! But...oh the wonderful works in your heart and the hearts of others. Great to hear of you landing on USA soil on August 11th. I'm so glad the kids have nice "prizes" waiting for them at home. Enjoy your last few days sweet friend! We love you and Can't wait to see you! Maria, Alayna, Emma-Kate and Todd Horchner