I was reminded today by a sweet friend that Abi WAS born addicted to cocaine. Therefore, she may not know how to self soothe. She suggested that now may not be the best time to become regimented with schedules and sleep patterns. It's more important to focus on creating an atmosphere of trust and love for her. I must tell you that Jesus will have to do this in me. I have patience, compassion and an abundance of love for Abi but mercy is not my greater strength. Thank God for Bruce who is full of mercy and love. We make a great team...thank You, Jesus!
Abi has been a delight today. She's fun and loves to be out on adventures. Our adventure today was going to see the apartment that was suggested by Dr. Torres. It's a lovely apartment and we are so grateful for the chance to stay there. The down side to this apartment is that it's on the 4th floor, no elevator, the stroller, baby bag, etc...and the play area for the kids is further away. It's nice but we would always have to accompany them. The hotel we are in now, feels like home. Knowing the front gate is always locked allows for the kids to go anywhere they please (more/less) and we know they are safe and having fun. The mall, near the apartment, which also has a grocery store is a further walk as well. After looking at the apartment, which is a 2 bedroom with a lovely view...wow!!!...we walked to the mall to get a feel of the length of time it takes, etc.. Overall, it just didn't feel right to us. It may not feel right because God isn't finished with us here. Doris is really opening up to us as is Lillia. When we came in today from our outing, Lillia was crying. I said, "Lillia! Why are you crying? Are you okay?" and I held her. She smiled and said, "you and your family have made me so happy! These are happy tears!" It turns out that yesterday while at Carulla, we met an eye Dr. that was helpful in speaking English to us. Of course, we ended up telling him that I was adopted from Colombia and now we are here to adopt Abi. At some point, he asked where we were staying. From that conversation, Mauricio and Lillia received a reservation today, a referral from the eye Dr. They are so thankful that we are speaking highly of them and their hotel. To God be the Glory!
We took a taxi to Carulla, had dinner and then walked home with the cool breeze on us. It was a fun walk home, uphill, laughing and being together. I'm no longer panting all the way up the hill...that's a good thing! ;)
We were greeted at the door by Doris and Lillia and felt "at home" again. Tonight we are sleeping in a different room. It's a larger room (not much) and is divided by windows (that remain open). It has 2 twin beds and a full size bed in one room and a full size bed in another. Bruce and the kids are in the second room and sleeping now. He's so tired at the end of the day from getting up early with Abi each morning (6am) to allow me to sleep in a bit. Abi and I will take the bed in the front room, near the bathroom and sleep in the full size bed together. Bruce and I have never allowed our kids to sleep with us. They don't know it to even be an option, unless there's a thunderstorm or something of that nature. It's just something we've always agreed on. However, in Abi's case, we are willing to try anything it takes (with God's guidance) to help her find trust and comfort. If it works out in the new room tonight, we will move our things to the new room and stay in this hotel. If not, I'm not sure what we will do.
God reminded me today that we often dream of what we fear OR what we long for in our hearts. He reminded me of a specific situation in my own life where I would dream of an old friend and the rejection that came in that friendship ending abruptly. I would dream of special times with her, laughter, silliness, depth, etc. and then wake to the reality that she is no longer in my life. The same is true for Abi. Even though her foster family didn't reject her, she must feel that way. God is our Healer and Comforter. He can take anything and turn it to good. He knows exactly how to mend our hearts, bottle our tears and heal us. Just as He did for me, I'm praying the same over our daughter.
I know I'm repeating myself but it's worth repeating...
YOU ARE A SIGNIFICANT PART OF THIS JOURNEY...YOUR LOVE, YOUR PRAYERS, YOUR SUPPORT, YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT, YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND YOUR ABILITY TO MAKE US SMILE DURING THIS TRANSITIONAL PERIOD...Oh, how we love you!
The Menefee's, family of FIVE!



1 comment:
Just thought I would give you a great laugh. I have wresteled with hogs this week. Yep, it was a sight. I had this box in front of me and was just a pushing that hog to get into the trailer. At one point I even had hold of his ears and was pulling as hard as I could. I saw this lady do it at the fair last year and thought if she can do it by golly I can too. The hogs weighed 190 and 200 lbs. Man, God can work wonders. I am so proud of you and your journey. It sounds like your paths are being so ordered. I will continue to pray for you. Keep up the good work. I am so amazed at how much Abi looks like her Mommy!! I thought of the perfect name for little Abi...how about little Ruth... I love you, Ruth. Chae
Post a Comment