Wednesday, July 28, 2010

NOTE FROM ROCKY, OUR DOG, TO JOSH...

Bruce's mother, Helen, is watching Rocky while we are in Colombia. They adore each other! She is one of the greatest writers and I just had to share this with you...

Hi Josh,
It's been a great day. We got to go on a walk this morning just because Grandma remembered she promised. She said she didn't have much energy and I told her I had enough for both of us. I rolled in the grass over at the school and Grandma said that was a sign that I was feeling more at home. Then later everyone was on Skype except I didn't understand. I thought maybe the camera was something to eat. Grandma said Abi smiled when I was licking her neck. I have to clean her up once in awhile.
I was outside today and enjoyed just laying in the grass awhile and also enjoyed emptying a planter on the porch. Well, you never know there might be food in there. It rained a lot this afternoon. I watched Grandma clean the porch before the rain came. She also ran the vaccuum cleaner again. I'm getting so used to that thing. I just layed there watching it and when Grandma said to move I didn't see any reason to. Finally I just moved a little. It's nice to have a clean place to lie down in, I guess. I sure like the clean towels she puts in front of the door. They smell good especially if they come from the dryer.
Now to tell you about my evening adventure. We went to the school yard and hadn't gone far when Grandma told me to sit and get the leash back on because "yonder" was that big dog that doesn't like other dogs and he was running free on the playground. So, Grandma made me go outside the fence. The other dog went across and when he was a good distance, Grandma let me go through a gate and run. I started running toward our house because that's the way that other dog went but Grandma called me back and told me to run the other way. We met at the Park Ave. gate again and went on our way.
Not too much farther down a little poodle dog was loose and came barking at us. Grandma stopped to let me say hello and then the owner called him to come in the house. That really made the walk exciting. I think it was around 15th street we were getting near the street crossing and a car was coming. Grandma said, "Rocky! Sit!" and she was so surprised that I did! Boy, I got a lot of praise for that one! It was worth the inconvenience. You know, I told you she tells me to sit before she takes the leash off or puts it on. Sometimes I pretend I don't hear her and then after she says it two or three times she pats my rear which makes me obey and then she tells me I'm a good dog. Boy, this time I just sat when she said sit.
By the time I got back home I was so tired! I chased the birds away from my food dish, drank some water and was ready to go inside. I just collapsed. Grandma says I use up all my energy at the beginning of the walk. Well, gee whiz, Josh! I'm really excited to be out. I can't tell you how much I love my walks. Grandma says it's good for her too but she grumbles about the uneven sidewalks.
Can I tell you a secret? I wouldn't want this to get out. Grandma has a pet name for me and it's "Baby"! Yuk! Josh! How would you like it if your Mom said, "This way, Baby"; "Come here, Baby". Good grief. It's embarrasing for a boy dog! I have a name. Sometimes she calls me "Rocky Top" which isn't so bad but "Baby"? Give me a break. Maybe she'll outgrow that!
Hey, one more thing that is really neat. Cousin Kim said when a dog gets hot to put cold water on top of their head and under their shoulders. She said that's what a vet does for heat stroke. Grandma tried it today and wow! it felt gooooood.
Well, sweet dreams, Josh. I hope you have as good a one as I do when I'm chasing cats. There haven't been many cats around here for a respectable dog like me to chase so I have to do that in my dreams. A big lick for Bella and a small one for Abi.
Love,
Rocky

3 comments:

Our Colombian Jewel said...

I LOVE THIS BLOG!!!

HELEN IS SO THOUGHTFUL TO KEEP ROCKY WHILE WE'RE AWAY AND TO ALSO KEEP A JOURNAL FOR JOSH. HE WILL KEEP IT FOREVER!

pepper said...

How cute! What an awesome Grandma!

Dena said...

yes...I loved this too. But Rocky is a Menefee too and you know I love ALL of them:)