Saturday, July 17, 2010

RELAXED DAY AS A FAMILY...


(There are new pictures up on yesterday's blog...smile)




About 9pm, last night, a group of people were gathered a few doors down and having a party. As there was no loud music, their voices were clear enough for me to hear! I thought surely they would be done soon but at 1:30am when I had planned to go to sleep, they were still going. At 4am, the party shut down. Seriously?!!!

TODAY...Apparently there was a Board Meeting for all of the LOUDEST birds in Medellin to meet at 6:30am at OUR house! Oh, they came from nearby and faraway! There were multitudes of them and boy did they have much to discuss! As I enjoyed their beautiful sounds, it's not the time I wanted to be up! Then a group of men decided to begin work early on this Saturday morning. At 7am they were drilling, hauling and being quite annoying. Not a good night for sleep.

Valeria woke at 7:30 this morning but woke during the night as well. This will be the first thing we work on when we get home. There is no reason, in our opinion, for a 1 year old to wake for a few swallows of a bottle. However, we do realize this is what she is used to so we continue pleasing her. She is just precious.
She's not much into her bath time yet. We get in and get out! Again, when we get home, the bathroom is warm and a big fluffy blanket awaits her, she will begin to love them again.

We spent much of the morning here at our house (B&B). When the clouds and rain cleared we took a walk to the Intercontinental Hotel. This is the hotel that Gladney highly suggests but it's quite costly. Since we brought our kids with us, they insisted on us having 2 rooms at $150 per night. We couldn't see spending $300 per night for 3-4 weeks...nor did we have it. The hotel is beautiful though! When we were entering the hotel, we heard a voice sa
y, "hey, I know you!" It was our interpreter, Vicky. She was there to take care of another family that is adopting from Medellin. The were from the Netherlands and a very nice couple. There sat William in his stroller, bundled up and ready for his outing. They were going to the mall that we went to yesterday. The facility was unbelievable. Very Americanized! You felt as though you were in America with it's beauty, cleanliness, staff in their suits, perfect pool and recreational area, etc. If you are adopting from Medellin and have the money to spend on this, go for it!

As we were leaving the hotel, it began to rain so we went back inside. The rain subsided so we took headed back to our house (by foot)! Valeria was in her stroller, the umbrella was covering her as was a blanket. The rest of us...not so much. We weren't drenched but we were definitely sprinkled on and sticky wet. If you know me, you know I don't like to be wet. I hated to sound like a Diva but I was not liking this fast walk home. When we approached our street, which really wasn't far, we headed up the mountain. Yes, we are in the middle of mountains! What used to be country side for Medellin is now part of the city. Bella and I were so out of breath and desperately wanting to be warm, dry and given lots of TLC (tender loving care) but we carried on. By the time we arrived home, we decided it was an adventure!

This evening we went to a grocery store that is magnificent! So beautiful, clean and FULL of beautiful food! They had a cafeteria type area on the main floor so we ordered grilled chicken (seasoned with a delicious Colombian touch) and baked potatoes (nothing on them...they don't serve potatoes with "sides" like they do in Texas). Then we went to the salad bar and there was an ABUNDANCE of fruit! Josh got his own large bowl and filled it to the top. I got another bowl for the rest of us. It was the most delicious meal...we were all soo happy that we ordered more of everything and brought it back with us. This meal cost us $15 (approx.) We will going back there again very soon! Valeria ate tons of fruit tonight...given to her as a snack from her big brother, Josh!

Valeria is smiling alot at Daddy...just randomly...it's very sweet. I want her to be a Daddy's girl so this fills my heart. He says that she's smiling at him more because there is no competition. She didn't have a foster father. I think she just adores him...as she should!

Josh and Bella spent time today on their electronic games and such. Bella is keeping a journal and for part of her journaling today she decided to use her Ipod and record herself speaking about Colombia and their people. It's just precious!

Hoping for more rest tonight...at least it's still early. However, our neighbors are having a fiesta! The music and especially the bass guitar are loud and clear! In Texas we would call the police and they would drive by their home and ask them to bring the noise level down. Not in Medellin!! Someone just shouted into the microphone, "Ole!"

On that note, I'll end...
All is well and we are blessed.
Muchos love, Ruth


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth she is so beautiful!! thank you for sharing the details with us!! praying for cont. bonding and that her heart will be healed and open to the new love of her forever family!!

Unknown said...

Ruth, Bruce, Josh and Bella,

We so enjoy reading about how you are becoming a family of 5...Valeria is so precious with so many adjustments to make all at once. I just know she will be very happy with all of you. Praying and happy for all of you. Love, Ron and Laurie

Kerri Schoonvelt said...

I wish I were there in Colombia with you holding precious Abi! What an exciting time for the Menefee's. I am loving getting to part of this great journey. So ready to hold her, squeeze her and Love her. Keep the posts coming and by the Watt Ruth she looks so much like you. Loving and Praying for all of you.

Elaine said...

I love readiing your blog and feel I am right there with you. Valeria is so cute. You have such an understanding heart as to what she is going through right now adjusting to her forever family. God picked the perfect family for her.

Anonymous said...

Ruth she is beautiful and fits just perfectly in your beautiful family! I love the pics of her and the kids, such a blessing to see them all having so much fun together! As I read along, the memories you guys are making and the joy you are feeling is refreshing to us all! Keep it coming! ~Rebecca Bryan~

j said...

Abi is truly beautiful but she is NOT nor overshadowing the family she is now apart of! My heart is more than overjoyed by all of you. Thanks for sharing this adventure is another adoptee!

Gerald and Wendy said...

Valeria is a DOLL!! What an amazing blessing to be a part of your family. God is so good and His timing IS perfect!! I am touched at how Bella and Josh are bonding with her. My heart melts as I look at the precious memories that are being made in your family! Love you guys!

Maria Horchner said...

The Horchner Team absolutely loves Valeria (Abi) and how she has made The Menefee family complete. Ruth and Bruce have dreamed for this moment. We remember Joshua showing his friends in his Watauga, TX house his sister's Abi room when he was only 4 or 5 years old. God is so good to make the dream of Abi come true! You are beautilful, Abi! Your hair and eyes looks so much like your mommy Ruth. I love your lips and cheeks. Tia Ria can't wait to play with you and hold you! Alayna loved the picture of you and Big Sister Bella. She is Bella's best friend and misses her very much. She want to play ball with both of you. God is faithful to provide all you need! Congratulations on entering our hearts and the Menefee family. We love you so much! Loved ~ Tia Ria, Uncle Todd, Alayna and Emma-Kate

Calys jimenez said...

Hello Menefee's it is calys jimenez and I just wanted to let you know that y'all are a precious family and I love that y'all got the chance to do this
love calys jimenez 