If you know us, you know we rarely call our kids by their actual names. We are far too playful to stick with correct name calling. So, beginning today, other names are being used.
Josh is calling her..."Abs"
Bella is calling her..."Valeria" because she likes the way it sounds in Spanish
Bruce is calling her.."Abi"
I am calling her..."Abigail Valeria" to slowly introduce her to "Abi"
She responds to all these names. She is so very smart! She picks things up in the room and carries them to the correct person. She picks up Josh's legos and takes them over to him. Carries Bella's stuff to her and so on... She knows she will be praised! She also wants to use a spoon or fork when she eats. In Colombia, it seems that they work hard at creating some independence in the babies. While she was in her foster mother's care, she would sit on the potty at 6:30am every morning and go poopies. That's unbelievable to me! She knows that the baby powder is for her tummy and to rub it in. She knows to wipe her mouth and her hands with a napkin after she eats. She already understands English. Hopefully, with her strong will and intelligence, she will do great things for Jesus...even as a young child!
We stayed in most of today. Had a leisure morning together. Caught up on sleep. Abi screamed before her first nap today. I thought she was going to make herself sick, she yelled so hard. After almost an hour, she decided to give up. Oh my! Her second nap was in the car this afternoon. It was short...thank goodness! Hopefully, this will work in our favor and she will sleep most or ALL of tonight (unlike last night or any other night for that matter).
I turned quickly on Josh's bed and found myself with pain in my lower back. It's actually lower than my lower back...hard to explain. At any rate, when I put pressure on my right leg, it shoots pain down my rear. No bueno. Some Tylenol and rest will cure me, I'm sure!
With that said, I couldn't walk to Carulla or any other far away place today. We took a taxi to Mario Bros. for lunch. Josh thought it was cool b/c Mario was lining the walls. Of course, he was thinking of the Mario Brother games. I wished for my camera but didn't take it along today. We ate some delicious shish-ka-bobs, went for a short walk and then took a taxi to Carulla. After shopping and getting treats for Lillia, we headed back home.
We entered the house singing, "Happy Birthday" to Lillia and giving her the roses and cake we had purchased for her. She was very touched by this. She insisted that we eat some of the Cookies & Cream Cheesecake with she and her family right then! It was a nice time. She has a beautiful heart...one that we will miss.
At 4:00 we went to see an apartment that is available to us (thanks to Dr. Torres) for the remainder of our time here. When we got there our contact person wasn't there to show us the inside of the apartment. The outside of the apartment is very nice...somewhat like it's own little city. It's protected by a gate and not just anyone can enter. You CAN get to the mall and grocery store (not Carulla) but it's not as easy and is further. My concern is that we have 15-19 more days here and IF we stay in this apartment, we will be isolated. There is no staff to help with directions, laundry, conversation, etc. If the kids want to go out and play, one of us has to go with them. At our hotel now, we are friends with the owners and staff. Our kids can go down to the lower floor which leads outside and play inside or out. They are safe. The staff here is also VERY helpful! It's not just that we like to be served. It's just very helpful when you've taken a baby from the only world that she's known to have encouragement and support. Marleny made Abi's bottle tonight...with cilantro and lettuce. It knocked her out and hopefully will keep her out. She will also prepare her "sleepy tea" bottle in the middle of the night. Doris does our laundry and folds it as if she's seen or worked at the Gap. Mauricio and Lillia are willing to drive us places, explain different areas of the city, make suggestions for safe places to visit, offer their kindness and love. I'm afraid, being the "people person" that I am, I'll miss fellowship with others if we choose to move into the apartment. We are weighing out our options and will make a decision this week. Please pray that God gives us clear direction. The idea of a 3 bedroom sounds lovely but not if it won't help Abi's sleeping patterns...then we will just be ALONE with a screaming baby.
At the grocery store today we got the ingredients to make our own dinner. Bruce and I made spaghetti, had fresh veggies, fresh and delicious pineapple and scrumptious bread. I was happy to cook tonight but I expected it to taste better than it did. Maybe it's their hamburger meat...who knows? It was filling and that's all we really need...just something somewhat healthy to fill us up. :)
Tomorrow we hope to go to the Intercontinental Hotel to swim and play. Their pool is huge, super clean and heated!!! They also have other great activities for the kids...not to mention the spa area for me. Bella and I are hoping for pedicures!! We may have to postpone though because the President of Colombia is in Medellin and is staying at the Intercontinental. I would love to meet him and thank him for our latest treasure. I told Vicky we would make for a great story on TV! We shall see! I believe he is here for the Fashion Show that begins tonight. For miles from the Intercontinental, there are military men, fully loaded with weapons to protect their President. Josh thought that was very cool!
Better sign off for now and head to bed. It's unlikely that I can fall asleep this early but the rest of the family is in bed (right next to me).
Thank you again for the encouraging notes on email, facebook and our blog. They mean so much to us!
Loving you ~ Ruth



4 comments:
I luv reading about your trip! It's such a gr8 experience for all of u! I just about died when I read about the tea and massages at night the foster mom gave her! What treatment. No wonder she doesn't want to just lay down on her own. Miss and luv u! Give Bruce a hug from me:). He's such a great daddy:). Luv u lil mammasita!! Les
I'm pretty sure Alyssa and Scott do the massage thing with their boys after baths. I wonder if you should try it occasionally. Touch can be healing...of course, as a Granna, I err on the side of spoiling! lol
We are staying in a regular hotel here in Cali. We visited a hotel that is more like a bed & breakfast today. There are several families @ the bed & breakfast type hotel. The people here at our hotel are nice, but they have limited English. I would love to be with other families. The time we spent talking with the other families there was wonderful. I would love to move there, to be around other people. If my mother wasn't coming in 2 days, I would probably seriously consider moving. It's just my opinion, but I would really like the fellowship.
Amazing difference in training babies.
I feel your pain on the sleepless nights. Cayden is same age as Abi and he is cutting those stomach teeth and on top of that he just hates to sleep.
Girl, you need to post the recipe for "sleepy tea" cause I am ready to try it! The doctor told us to use 1/2 tsp of benedryl but while it used to work with Kaitlynn, no bueno for Cayden.
Anyway, miss you and love you bunches. Hang in there - sounds like God has placed some helpers around you. Love Linda
Post a Comment