While I slept this morning, Bruce spoke with Vicky and the apartment that she's mentioned to us (for adoptive families) is now OPEN! I woke and he was ready to move! We immediately started packing. Bruce was very excited. He's probably just ready to get some sleep! ;) It took most of the morning to get things in order. Josh and Bella weren't excited to move because they love the hotel facility. Bella especially loves Sofie, Mauricio and Lillia's daughter. She has shown a sweet interest in Bella! Every early evening when Sofie comes to the hotel, from school, she sits with Josh and Bella. She's studying English so they speak a bit. She's not confident in her English. However, she does better than she thinks.
After we were packed, I put together some gifts for Mauricio and Lillia and their sweet helpers...Doris, Marleny and Betty. I put the crosses I bought from Hobby Lobby in a clear, bag and tied a beautiful pink polka dotted ribbon over a brown, multi-colored, polka dotted ribbon. They also had a family picture of us (from Easter) with a handwritten note. They've become so precious to us. You know how special Doris is to us! She's like a sister. Betty is always smiling and encouraging us. She is a love. Marleny works the night shift and is always willing to help with Abi. She's a sight for sore eyes in the middle of the night. They ALL adore our kids...all three!
So I prepared the gifts and went down to Doris. I didn't feel alot of emotion UNTIL I looked in her eyes. She knew we were leaving. She knew that our daily encouragement had come to an end. She knew she would have to clean our room and we would not be returning. I gave her the gift and said, "I have mucho amor for you." She said, the same. We embraced. We cried. I had to walk away and go back to our room to get myself together. After I cried (some more) and asked God to reach her, love her and protect her, I was able to go back downstairs. I wrote her a more personal note on paper so as to reminder her of God's love for her. Bruce wrote a personal note for her on the computer because it translates the words as you type them. She was very touched by our love.
Mauricio and Lillia, along with their kids, Sofie and Sebastian, came in as we had just finished lining up our MANY bags at the front door. Lillia walked up to me, spoke in Spanish...I've no idea what she said but it was alot of love, we hugged and both cried. Then I walked into the kitchen with her gift. With tears streaming down her face, she said, "oh no, no, no." I left it on the table and walked out of the room. She came into the lobby where we were all hanging out and grabbed me. She said, "You are family to us. We love your family. We want to see you again before you go home. You can come be with us during the day, if you'd like." She's just precious. I'm so thankful she and Sofie came to church with us last Sunday. It gave them a taste of the wonderful Savior we serve.
Doris called for the "grande" taxi to come, since we have FAR too much stuff. A few minutes later an itty-bitty, yellow car, the size of a toaster, pulled up. Bella said, "Oh my! This is NOT going to work, Mom! We can't all fit in THAT with our luggage!" She was right about that. A few minutes later two normal sized taxies pulled up. Mind you, they are still small cars. The girls and some luggage went in one car and the guys with more luggage went in the other. It felt a bit strange being in a taxi in Medellin with Bella and Abi...and no men to protect us! We made it fine though...after weaving in and out of other cars, going up and down hills, stopping abruptly at stop lights and feeling nauseas in the end. Whew! You better know Jesus if you plan to get in a taxi in Colombia...wow!
When we arrived to the apartment, there was a very sweet lady cleaning. She was almost done but we felt it would be easier for her and us to leave her alone to complete the job. We walked directly across the street to the newest and most beautiful mall...Santa Fe Mall! It also has a Carrafour (grocery store) in it. It WASN'T Carulla BUT it's good enough. We walked around the mall for a bit, got ice cream cones (delicious!!) and then bought groceries. Remember when we were at the hotel, we would walk to Carulla and have to cross two very busy and dangerous streets? We would also have to walk back up the huge hill/mountain with our groceries and baby to get back home. NOT at this apartment! Just across the street...wonderful!
After grocery shopping, we came back to our BEAUTIFUL apartment. It's AWESOME! It's a three bedroom, 2 bath (tiny bathrooms, much like the bathrooms on a cruise ship), small kitchen, living area, balcony with an AMAZING view on the 4th floor. It's perfect! Vicky called to make sure we like it and I told her it was above and beyond what we could have asked for! We can see the pool from our balcony. The kids tried to swim but the water was too cold. Evidently, it's not heated but kids don't care if the sun is out. We saw the sun go down behind the mountain. It's actually quieter here. We are still in the city and it's a big and busy city so we always hear cars and such but it's much more pleasant than the sounds at the hotel. It's always LOUD there!
I should add here that their malls are not like ours. They are way overpriced. I'm surprised that they stay in business as I've seen very few people actually buying anything. I don't even go into the stores because 1) I wouldn't spend that much money on the items they are selling and 2) Bruce hates to shop and thinks we don't have room for anything else to carry home. He's right about that but isn't that why we have a postal service?! Tomorrow, I plan to get a Cinnabon, cinnamon roll. I may have 2-3 before we head home...just to tie me over until I get one of Elizabeth's homemade cinnamon rolls...the BEST you will ever put in your mouth. I'm not even kidding!!!
I also want to add that we will NOT miss the rated "R" and sometimes "X" billboards, advertisement, etc. They are EVERYWHERE!!! It's unbelievable to me how they portray women here. It's horrible and no wonder that you will find women of ALL ages, dressed in super low cut shirts and pants or jeans that are 4 sizes too small. So often I've had to say, "Josh, don't look this or that way." He's so obedient. I love him. Just to give you an idea...when we walked into Carrefour, the GROCERY STORE, the first thing that was being advertised were women's underwear. I won't tell you what kind...use your wildest imagination...yep, you got it! I'm sad for some of the women here. They look hollow. Everywhere we go, I see women who break my heart. Everywhere. Some are not living with beauty from their hearts but instead are trying to make their bodies a tool for acceptance and love. It's so sad to me.
Josh and Bella set up their OWN rooms almost immediately. They organized. Hung their clothes. Placed their books, silly bands (bracelets) and other personal items on the bedside table. They lines their shoes up. They took ownership of their rooms and are very happy!!
I made dinner tonight in our new apartment. We had bbq chicken, white rice and steamed broccoli. We haven't had steamed broccoli since we arrived to Colombia so that was a big treat for Bruce and Bella! Josh gave most of his to Abi. That girl will eat just about anything! I didn't think the dinner tasted right but hey at least we ate in and I made it. Josh did the dishes which was sweet.
Josh and I also washed a load of clothes this evening. We have no idea if they are clean or what really went on in the washer because there were lots of buttons and all in Spanish. We guessed at what we thought we wanted, giggled and left it alone. They are finished now and guess what? There is no dryer. After typing this, I'll go hang all of our clothes to dry. I've never done this before...a new adventure.
Sweet Josh gave up his room and twin bed to Bruce tonight. So he will be on a fold out chair that makes a twin bed, very near to the floor. It's not that comfortable to me but he's almost a teenager and could care less. Our little tiger is laying next to me and will hopefully sleep all night. She had short naps today since we were moving.
Thankful to be in this new apartment. Thankful no bugs or mosquitos are biting me right now. Thankful to have such a wonderful family, with three kiddos and...Thankful for YOU!
Prayer requests? Bruce to sleep well tonight and be refreshed tomorrow...heck pray that for all of us! Bella to become "regular" again (I know. Personal but needed.)
Muchos amore ~Ruth



3 comments:
I know this trip has had its ups and downs, but the Lord is smiling on you DAILY! You are bringing so much Glory to His name in EVERY situation. Colombia is seeing JESUS is you and your family! You are not just touching lives there, but back here in the states as well. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I am inspired every day by your words of love, acceptance, strength, and compassion. Abi is SO BLESSED to be a part of your family. I hope you will keep blogging once you get home. Love you!
Wish we could be there to help out. When you get home, I bet you'll have lots of offers. This time in Colombia with your family isolated is kind of a baptism of fire (in the form of exhaustion!) But as it turns out, "jewels" are refined by fire. What amazing things God must have in store for all of you to have hand-picked Abi for you and hand-picked the Menefee family for her. Only a few more days of intense refining. Relief is in sight.
Gerald, Wendy & Jane,
Your words have touched my heart. I can't wait to return home. To become a deeper rooted family of five in our own house/home. To date my, Bruce, again. To hire a sitter when needed. To see our church family, giving and receiving love.
We love you and thank you for the prayers and support. Ruth
Post a Comment