Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 5 of the journey...






Oh my! We woke up today. Exhausted. Valeria/Abi was up three times in the night. It was horrible. The first time she had 4 oz. of her sweet milk. The second and third time I held her but it didn't seem like enough. Remember, she doesn't whimper and then begin to cry. She just begins by a back-of-the-throat YELL. (Also be reminded that we are all in the same room!!!) The third time this happened I had little to give. I know my body language must have told her that too. I could hardly see straight.

She woke (for the day) at 7:15ish with a yell and then both Josh & Bella were up too. Bruce had been up all three times in the night (not to the length that I was, but still woken...is woken a word?) so I knew he was spent. We all went downstairs, ordered the kids their usual hot chocolate (Colombian tradition) with ham/eggs and toast. During that hour, of course, Valeria fell asleep in her stroller. I felt nausea but had to ignore those feelings. Right about the time breakfast was ready, Bruce came down the stairs...praise Jesus! He took over and I went back to bed for a couple hours.

We were able to connect with some of Bruce's family via SKYPE today! It was great to see familiar faces, talk through the computer, laugh together and be encouraged by them. If you'd like to talk with us via SKYPE, you have to download it on your computer. Then contact us (through email) as to when it might be a good time to visit. They LOVED seeing Valeria/Abi on the screen...sweet!

At noon we had "church" together as a family on our little balcony. It was lovely. We started with a couple praise and worship songs, then we were interrup
ted by Doris, one of the housekeepers. She came to check on something in the bathroom but then came out to the balcony and began to talk with Bruce about God. She told him she is a Jehovah's Witness and that she believes in God. I believe she likes what she sees in us...which is Jesus. After she left, Bruce spoke briefly about there being only one God. He talked a bit about what Jehovah's Witness believe, what we believe and what the Bible says to us..."No one comes to the Father except by Me (Jesus)." The kids were surprisingly involved. Bella had her Bible out and Josh had his Bible opened on his Itouch. Bella then wanted to share a scripture. She opened her Bible to Psalm 119:17, read it to us and then pulled out her memory verse card from kid's church and it read that we should obey God.
It was really precious. She also talked to us about a time that God spoke to her after she asked Him to speak to her. Josh chimed in and said that a couple years ago, at kids camp, God gave him a special word for two friends who were with him and they were encouraged. It was priceless.

Vicky, came atnoon to guide us for the day. She could tell I was tired and I explained that I was up most of the night. She was sorry and said that some babies, in the early days of bonding with their new parents don't want to sleep. First of all, they don't want to miss anything and secondly, they are reminded in the evening of their foster families. Just like adults they get "down" in the evenings when the sun goes down and something heavy is already on their/our hearts. Poor sweet baby girl.


Vicky took us to the mountains today. She said most people in Medellin leave the city and head to the mountains on the weekends. We drove for about 30 minutes and had lunch at a lovely restaurant. Me and the kids had steak and chicken shish-kabobs with fries and cokes! I also had a side of sauteed vegetables...so delicious. All of us are really enjoying the food here. So much so that next week sometime, Lillia, the owner of this B&B said she's willing to teach me how to cook Colombian food! I'm so excited. It's really not THAT different but the seasonings are different. I was expecting spicy but everything has been seasoned perfectly. I'm so thankful my stomach has cooperated with this trip. All of us are healthy!

Vicky and I have a beautiful, connection. The more we visit, the more we find that we have in common...and there is alot in common between us. Our documents state that our guide/interpreter is Gloria but Gloria wasn't well after having had surgery. I really believe that God gave us Vicky for a specific purpose! She is just beautiful ~ inside and out! We all enjoy her greatly!

In the same area as the restaurant, there was a large play area! They don't have what we (Americans) call "normal" parks in Medellin. There may be a swing set near but not a play ground or an area that's created for kids to play. Our kids loved it...including Bruce! After I got bit by several ants (I think they were ants?) we were on our way to a new location. We went
to a store that looked a bit like a market. It was full of souvenirs and so colorful. It looked like "Colombia" to me and I loved it. Bruce, on the other hand, is not into souvenirs. Bella and I did our shopping and as we were driving away, I realized we spent way too much money on a hat that Bella wanted. I thought the price read, "13,500" in pesos, which would have been about $7. Actually, the price read, "$135,000" pesos...oh my gosh!!! Did we just spend $70 on a hat for a child?!!! We turned around and after discussion we were allowed to exchange the hat for other items. It was not a happy time. Bella was sad but understood.
Bruce was less than thrilled to be in the store in the first place and I was left looking for more items (in a rush) to make the exchange. I ended up getting two nice items for gifts, handmade in Colombia, and a few children's bracelets, also handmade in Colombia. Not what I would have chosen to spend the money on but it all works out in the end.

On our way home, Josh was leaning his head on my left shoulder, Bella leaning up against my right arm and Valeria/Abi sitting asleep in my lap. The joy of motherhood. That was my favorite part of today...being surrounded by my beautiful treasures!!!

This evening we spent our time here at the house. No one else was here so the kids ran around, we talked with Doris and just played together. I noticed while we were eating that Valeria had a different look in her eyes towards me. She was more open to me. She was giving me some of her food and I was acting like I was going to gobble her hand off. She smiled from ear to ear! We sang. We danced. We acted super silly and I feel as though we had a new level of bonding today.

I held Valeria tonight while the kids watched Toy Story 1 in Spanish. You would have thought they knew the language. Very cute! Then gave her a bottle and prayed that she would find rest in her spirit tonight. That she would sleep through the night with no concerns of whose face she might see in the morning. That she would feel loved and chosen, mostly by God, but also by us.

It's 9:27pm. If you know me, you know that I'm a night owl. I love to stay up late. I love it! However, everyone is in bed around me and I'm signing off as well.

Please agree with me that Valeria will find hope, security and love in us. Pray that each day brings a deeper bond. Pray that she remains healthy. It's "winter" here and although it's not cold to us, everyone is bundled up...especially the babies. Due to her history, she can struggle sometimes with upper respiratory problems. This is the area you can pray for. Please also pray that Bruce and I remain close in our hearts. Three kids is more than one...in case you didn't know. We are busy showing all of them love, can't take time to get away and I don't want us to pass each other.

No pictures tonight...don't have the energy. Your comments the last two days are what keeps me blogging. Obviously, I want to jot down my thoughts and what we are doing but I'm tired. Knowing that you are enjoying or reading this blog, blesses me!

We appreciate and love you!
Ps. 139

19 comments:

Our Colombian Jewel said...

I will add more pics tomorrow!
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and loving every minute of your new precious one! You can do it! Standing in faith on your behalf, just rest! Love, Lindsay

laurie said...

I love that you take the time to write about yalls day!! I have enjoyed it so much--i look forward to your new entry each day!!cant wait to meet your new addition! praying for yall each day and a new level of love and bonding! take care!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you all. I do love reading your blog. Love reading how Abi is bonding with you all.

Anonymous said...

I have loved reading your blog!! Valeria is soooo beautiful. God is giving you guys such grace!! These are great memories you will have forever with her:) She looks so much like you RUTH! She is a doll. Can't wait to see her face to face. luv u tons! Les

Tammy and Kelly said...

"Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning." Very soon her sweet smiles and laughing will replace the tears. I can hear it now..."Bella & Abi, you two quit giggling and go to sleep!" Oh, the Joy!!
We are loving the daily blogs! But I cannot wait to hold that sweet baby girl in my lap so I can say...la,la,la,la Lolli & to hear her respond...wa,wa,wa,wa, waddy!! Friends, We Love Yall! Josh, Bella & Abi, We Love you!!

Denae said...

We have Skype!!!! I want to see Abi!! I am praying she sleeps well tonight and that Jesus puts peace in her heart. I love the pictures with Bella...she looks like such a proud big sister!

Anonymous said...

Love the Menefee family to pieces... Love you Ruth and your amazing heart, so big and full and so open. This is your shining moment, and all of you are being so faithful with what's in the natural -- and trusting God with the supernatural! When I see those pictures of Bella, Josh and Abi, I think of the Psalms verse "Taste and see that the Lord is good", and I laugh as I wanna big bite of each one... They are SO yummy-cute!!! So all the wonderful bounty, and beauty to boot. Mmmm-mmm! Can't wait for your first Argyle visit -- I'm leaving the light on for you. Thanks for the blog. Continuing to pray for His best... YaYa Julie

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! James and I read it every morning and it blesses our socks off! What an amazing journey y'all are on...love you!!!

the Wilhites

pepper said...

I know how tired you can be when babies get you up throughout the night but I can't imagine that lack of rest combined with the emotional stress that you are under right now. I do know that the JOY of the LORD is your STRENGTH. And He is so faithful! I love hearing about how He's blessing all of you. You have so many people praying for your rest and health. Thanks so much for sharing your time with us.

Anonymous said...

Have been praying lots for you! Thank you for sharing your blog! I absolutely love waking up and reading it! You're a great writer; as I've said before, I think you'll be a great published author one day! We have skype here in Peru! Would love to talk to you. I love you!

Unknown said...

Always remember you are not alone. We are all there with you in our hearts. while reading your blog, I laugh, cry, giggle and pray. God promises you new mercy everyday! Huge bucket loads if needed.

Praying God gives you grace to keep your emotions "intact". I love that you want balance in every area, it will be there!

hugs to all! Sandy

Jane Bromley said...

What a treat to get to experience this miraculous journey you are on as a family! It's thoughtful and generous of you to use some of your precious time and energy to include your "extended family". I just found the blog today, but I read every word from the beginning. I started praying while we were still on vacation, but now I know better what to pray. God is healing Valeria's heart so completely and quickly, as if you were watching a wound heal on her finger. Maybe that's why you haven't been able to get much sleep...God doesn't want you to miss anything! :o)

Bonnie Boykin said...

Ruth,
Years ago Hearld and I used to live at Lubbock years ago, actually that is where Todd was born...The dry air of west Texas will help Abi's respiratory issues. I'm luving reading your story and praying for you guys.
Love & Hugs Bonnie

Angie said...

Oh WOW! What an amazing journey! Thank you for sharing it with all of us through your words and pictures. Congrats and many blessings to all of you!

Jenny McClendon said...

Oh, my, Ruth! These are precious days, and your faithfulness to collect your thoughts at the end of the day is so rich!!! Thank you for these priceless glimpses into your lives. She truly is beautiful and a gift from God! We will continue to pray for His perfect peace to fall on Valeria and that she will soon know what it is to rest in the Father's arms as she sleeps! Give hugs to Josh for me!!! I love you all!!

Jen

Dena said...

All I see is beauty in your family. Each smile is priceles..each moment captured is a treasure.I am so glad you share this so we can be a part of your journey!
WOW..Abi's smile at Bruce is breath taking...what a daddy he is. Ruth...you were born for this..to be a mom and an amazing and inspiring one at that. I continue to pray and I love all of you!

Anonymous said...

It's such a blessing to be included in your journey with Abi. So encouraging to see the progress she is making. She couldn't have a better family. Can't wait to meet her and see all of you again. You do a great job of blogging!

Calys jimenez said...

Hi Menefee's it is calys jimenez, even though she cries at night God WILL settle her heart and she WILL sleep peacefully. I can't wait until I get to hold her in my arms and she does like every other baby does and goes straight for the glasses P.S. Can't wait to see
y'all
love calys jimenez