Thursday, July 22, 2010

ONE WEEK WITH ABIGAIL VALERIA...

Valeria (Abi) woke three times last night. I thought I was going to pass out on both the second and third times. It only took a 3 minute embrace to comfort her which I don't mind doing but I'm exhausted. Bruce got up with her at 6:30am and I went back to bed until 9ish. So I'm getting sleep, it's just VERY interrupted. Please pray for us tonight...especially baby girl.

Andrew came by today for a short visit. He brought books and games for us and the kids to play. The boredom is slowly setting in. Somehow we only managed to leave the house with about 4 movies when we could have used at least 10. The Sound of Music sounds wonderful right about now. At any rate, the kids are doing well.

We had our meeting today with ICBF to end the integration period. Valeria's case worker assessed that she has bonded very well to us and us to her. She was shocked that Valeria had such bright eyes, she was walking, eating well, playing with Josh and Bella and loving Bruce and I. She said that we are a very special family because of the bond Valeria and I share because I'm also adopted. She asked us questions, like, how do you feel now with a third child? How long did she cry on the first day? Did her stuffed animal from her foster home bring her comfort? Do you feel any different towards her than you do your biological children? Do you feel that she knows you? How are Josh and Bella adapting to their new sister? Is she eating? Is she sleeping? Etc.

All of our answers were excellent and truthful! I made mention that Valeria is waking 2-3 times each night and she said that was normal because she's needing to be comforted. She said that when we get home and into a better routine (not all in the same room), she will adapt quickly because she's already adapting in every other area. I also told her that on the first day with us, she threw Pepe (her stuffed animal that her foster brother made for her) to the ground. She wanted nothing to do with him. Her case worker said that was a good sign because she wanted only to grasp what was new. She said her foster mother prepared her very well for us by using the dvd and photo album to speak of us and tell her of our love. I also told her Valeria prefers to be spoken to in English. Sometimes when she is spoken to in Spanish, she gets very upset. She said that was also a good sign. She wants to bond with our family, clinging to how we speak to her, etc.

We also found out that Valeria had taken a couple of her first "steps" the morning she left her foster family...a week ago today. We had no idea she had just started to walk. She's such a great walker, we thought she had been walking for months. Another good sign of security and bonding.

The final questions were, "Do you need more time for integration?" No. "Do you accept Valeria as your daughter?" Yes! With that said, she gives a recommendation to the judge for us to adopt Valeria. The judge then proceeds with the final signatures needed to complete the adoption and then we work towards leaving the country with Valeria. The time taken to leave the country is what takes so long. Tomorrow morning, we will go to court and sign papers giving Nora permission to be our Power of Attorney. We will also be assigned to a Judge tomorrow. The selection for judges are chosen randomly. Some judges are quick and others take longer to process the documentation for adoption. I'm fine with staying as long as necessary because I love it here. I love the city, the people, Vicky, Doris, the fun moments as as family, etc.

I asked the kids yesterday, "Have you thought about going home? or How much longer do we have to be here?" We all agreed that it hadn't crossed our minds...well, until tonight (for Josh).

The Colombian government is serious about giving every person their own rights. Valeria's birth mother has lost her rights. After the documentation for us to adopt Valeria is complete, it is irrevocable. She will forever be ours! The woman that birthed Valeria was definitely not in her in right mind. She would have never left her. She is the most beautiful and easy going girl. Maybe she WAS in her right mind enough to know it was best for Valeria if she didn't return to the hospital for her because she would be rescued by Jesus and us. At any rate, we have received our third treasure from the Lord.

TODAY MARKS A BIG DAY...It's as if Valeria's been with us forever and it's just been a WEEK. God is amazingly good.

Prayer Requests:
  • Josh pulled a muscle in his neck today while swimming. He can't turn his head and the pain is shooting down his left arm. VERY PAINFUL.
  • Josh also melted down tonight. He wants to go home. He didn't like the pasta dinner made for us tonight so he didn't eat. He has to wait until breakfast now to eat. Not eating dinner combined with pain in his body, brought on a melt down. He misses his bed. His dog. His friends, Aaron, Burke and Tyler. He wants MamMa and Grandma. He's done for today. Done with being in one room. Done with living without a fun schedule.
  • Bella needs prayers for her "regularity." We will leave it at that.
  • Bruce and I need to connect...
I must go to bed now, even though I have so much more to say. The pictures won't upload so I'll work on that tomorrow.

Sure appreciate you. Prayers are necessary now. Please lift us up.
Much love, Ruth

3 comments:

Marlana said...

You are an amazing mother! I will be praying for healing for Josh and Bella. I will also be praying for Gods timing in you guys coming home. Love u stay strong the connection is there.

Calys jimenez;) said...

hi menefee's it is calys
so glad to hear y'all! i will pray for the whole family. love you guys sooo much!
love calys jimenez

Jenny McClendon said...

Still lifting you guys daily to the Lord. How sweet to hear of your connectedness as a family. Sounds like God is truly knitting you guys together. Thanks for the specifics on prayer needs - it definitely gives us a direction to pray.

Love you all!
Jen