Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Hope Is Built...

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.
Refrain

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.
Refrain

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.
Refrain

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.
Refrain

TODAY WAS MAGNIFICENT!

It was hard to get out of bed because again Valeria/Abi woke up twice in the night. But, again it was easier to get her back to sleep the second time after a short embrace and prayers whispered in her ear. We woke to rain, lots of rain. We had planned to go to the North side of Medellin to experience more of this city but with the rain, I thought, "surely, not!" After contacting Vicky, she said, "SURE! Why not?" She arrived at 10am to pick us up and then we went to the Intercontinental Hotel to meet her sister, brother-in-law, their daughter (Sammie/Samantha who is Bella's age), Vicky's Dad and Aunt. They are so kind and were so open to show us love today.

We took two taxies and rode to the metro system. It was wonderful, quick, easy and clean. We stayed on the metro for quite a while and finding ourselves further and further from home. It was amazing to see different parts of the city. Just like any city we saw the older buildings and different lifestyles. Some of the buildings were magnificent, just beautiful...catholic churches, etc. We finally found ourselves at Medellin's cable car system. Oh, what fun and what beauty!!! The weather was perfect...sun was out and a bit of a cool breeze! I thought I was going to feel afraid on the cable car but it's very safe with security provided and very clean. Vicky, Bruce, Bella, Sammie and myself were seated in our car. The others were in front of us in their own cable car. Josh loved being with Vicky's sister and brother-in-law. We all did but him especially as they showed him great love and admiration. Vicky and I thought the girls might connect more today. Sammie attends a private school and is learning English. Her Dad, Marcos, is Colombian born but raised in the States. He lives part time in the US and part time in Medellin. Sammie is a very sweet girl. She doesn't like to speak English much and Bella is pretty shy so the connection came after a full day together. A good friendship was birthed. After taking the cable cars up into the sky, past the clouds (seriously), we "landed" and then got on another cable car system to go even higher. The higher we got, the more you could see the beauty of the city AND also the sadness of the poverty.

Today is a National holiday here so many were off work. We saw houses built on houses, made out of scraps. I saw every color in the rainbow as the clothes lines were full of hanging laundry. I saw children playing with a ball on a dirty street. I saw the most beautiful flowers growing wildly on trees. I saw men working. We saw some women on the roof of their homes cooking. I saw many young teens on our journey today that were either pregnant or had just birthed their child within the last year. I saw most teenage girls with a hollowness in their eyes. As many had their boyfriends wrapped around them (literally) and some carrying their babies, there was such a loss in their eyes. While in line, some stared at us. I would catch their eyes (the girls) and give them a comforting smile, hoping that they would see Jesus in my eyes. I'd love to sit with these girls and give them a talk on self worth, identity in Christ, living with purpose and a destiny...instead I prayed and will continue to do so on their behalf. It truly broke my heart.

Colombian people are beautiful to me. I find myself wanting to stare at people in line...wanting to see the differences in my people. Obviously, I don't stare but I do, take them in my heart and think through what their lives might be like. Going over the thousands and thousands of homes while on the cable car today reminded me that I could have been in that home...or that one. I could have lived this life. I could have desperately been looking for love and found myself in compromising places. But God. He truly hand-picked me and plucked me out for a different purpose and destiny. I still made wrong choices. I'm not any better than any of those living in the mountains, or those on the metro system, those on the cable cars, those in all the lines we stood in...no, not any better...just thankful today, very thankful.

Once we got to heaven. Not really but it sure felt like it. We found ourselves at the top of the mountains. The views were breathtaking. Unbelievable. Truly God's handiwork at it's best. We went over a tropical area of trees that they call a "canopy." It was so green. It showed great life! We got off the cable cars and before getting on a bus we stopped at some vendors that had Colombian snacks! We ate the BEST potato chips you've ever tasted. Alexandria, Vicky's sister, had Josh trying all kinds of berries, fruit and a crisp treat that was filled with caramel...wish I could remember the name of it. At any rate, he loved the snacks. Now remember, he's our firstborn and is a bit picky...not today!

Let me also add here that at this point Valeria/Abi has spent most of the time traveling to our destination, asleep. She's so sweet. When she woke we were on the cable cars and she sat in her stroller like a little lady, at peace. When we got on the bus, she was fired up! There are no seat belts on the bus so she wanted to be right beside the window...as did Bella so we did some seat adjustments. Anyway, Valeria wanted to put her face out the window. I allowed it while we were still but when the bus started, the drive began down the path, the wind hit her face, she smiled and giggled. She was sooo happy today!!! She played with Bruce...he flies her through the air like she's an airplane. She played, "Where's Valeria?" with Bella...now she puts her chubby hands over her own eyes, then she giggles when Bella says, "There she is!" She played with Josh...just laughing together and bonding while he holds her. He likes to hold her which really blesses me! Oh my goodness, we have awesome kids!!!!

Back to the story...we arrived to a gorgeous hotel sitting perfectly atop a mountain. We had a delicious lunch, outdoors on a patio, with great conversation! We found ourselves right at home. Josh sat at the far end of the table with Vicky's family while we sat closer to Vicky for interpretation and because we just love her! She and Bruce are kidding each other alot now and it's hysterical. She and I are sooo much alike. Bella and I ordered a burger with fries but when it came out, it didn't look much like hamburger meat...it wasn't. I'll say no more on that. So Vicky insisted that we change our order. We enjoyed grilled chicken with fries and it was perfect.

After lunch we took a nice, long walk through what felt like a jungle. Whoever created the stone walkway with fencing, did an outstanding job and it had to have been a tremendous amount of work. We walked up and down, in and out and found ourselves at a beautiful lake. We didn't have time to ride the paddle boats because the line had about fifty people waiting but the lunch and walk was amazing! Then we did all the transportation, I've already mentioned in reverse order. IT WAS SOOO MUCH FUN!!! Valeria was an absolute jewel. She is so easy going. I say that and it's true but when she wants something and she's sure of it...then you hear of it!!! She also got her hand spanked today for continuing to hit Bella on the head while we were in line at different places. She was messing up Bella's hair and that was serious today so after a few "Valeria, NO!"... she got some discipline. I remember reading in her papers after we received her referral and documents that she was beginning to understand, "no!" She sure does!! She's muy precioso and our amor! She didn't cry. She just obeyed. Now that's not always the case but today she was a great girl...super! Josh and Bella were equally as helpful and wonderful. Bella has grown up so much in the last week. I swear she's a teenager on some days...just a real big sister! Josh either had a backpack, stroller or baby sister in his arms today...awesome son, we have!!!

When we got home tonight, we were all happily hot and tired. Bruce and the kids went for a swim in the FRIO agua while Valeria and I sat with our feet in the pool. Everyone was happy! Josh and Bella had Valeria laughing so hard and she LOVES the water!

We spoke with Doris upon our return to find that she's not been feeling well today. She still worked her usual ten hour shift. She is diligent. She is the greeter, the cook, the plumber, the housekeeper (cleans)...she does it ALL! Since there are few people staying here right now (us and another couple), she was the only hired staff here today. She cleaned the entire house and did ALL of the laundry (from guests who stayed last night) alone today. When she told us she was ill, it broke our hearts. Of course she couldn't stay home. She needs the money. From what I hear she makes very little (you wouldn't believe). We decided as a family to bless her financially tonight. We've become close to her over the last (almost) week and she's become a sister to Bruce and I. She shared with Bruce yesterday that her husband was killed by gorilla warfare three years ago. She has one child and it seems as though she cares for her mother as well as her daughter who is eight. Doris is the kindest, most giving person in Medellin. She must be!

Bruce was busy so the kids and I went in the hall to find Doris. She happened to be coming up the stairs and with the sweet presence of God with us we explained that we were praying for her as a family and felt that He wanted us to bless her. I handed her a card, she silently read the note in English and Spanish (gotta love the translator on Bruce's iphone that Josh downloaded) and said, "muchos gracias." I told her this gift needed to stay private...privado!!! Then she realized there was a bigger blessing in the envelope. We didn't want her to go downstairs and begin to tell Marleny that she received the card, etc... She immediately said, "OH NO!" and handed it back to me. After further conversation in broken English and Spanish, she received our love. Later, she came to our door and with the sweetest heart gave great thanks. We made sure to tell her that God was the one who put her on our hearts. He was the one who wanted her to feel loved and cared for today. She embraced me and kissed my cheek. Oh, how we will miss you, Doris!

That's our day...it was perfecto! Can you tell I'm picking up some Spanish? Valeria doesn't really like to be spoken to in Spanish. I believe it reminds her of her foster family. She prefers to be spoken to in English. I guess it brings her comfort because her new family speaks English. Who knows?

I'll add pics tomorrow of our adventures today. :)
So much love from us to you!


5 comments:

Dena said...

it does sound like a heavenly day!
WOW...that is all I can say:)

Leslie said...

What an amazingly beautiful day!

Lindsey Feliciano said...

It sounds like she is getting better. I love reading the blog. We have skype and would love to get on and talk to you guys and the kids. Email me and let me know when a good time is. Love you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Ruth ~ we love hearing the details of your life there in Medellin and with Valeria. Sounds like good family time. I loved hearing about Valeria's joy and bonding with you & Bruce. You are chose Valeria and placed into a wonderful loving home. Wish I could be there for some family time, eating good Colombia food, shopping, swim and good ole' Menefee laughs. We think about you every day ~ Love you BIG from The Horchner Team (Tia Ria, Todd, Alayna & Emma-Kate

Calys said...

Hi menefee's it is calys
love all these blogs Ruthcant wait for more pictures y'all are gonna be a great forever family for Abigail Valeria MENEFEEU SO much